The Music Of The Knot

For a long time now I've felt there were similarities or parallels between music and bondage. This thought first came to mind some time ago at a shoot when I was rigging something that was not specifically planned for ahead of time, and I described what I was doing as "playing jazz" -- that is, I know what the song is but I'm improvising and not completely sure where it's going to end up. In a case like this, for both music and bondage there are certain rules and structures that must be adhered to, but there's also a creative flow in play too.

But beyond that, I feel the bondage (and fetish) producers are similar to musicians. Everyone has their own style, their own way of creating their art, and their own audience. To become proficient, dedication and study are key, and sacrifice of some kind is usually necessary. But that becomes an acceptable part of the deal because of the passion to create and the love of doing it. Getting a lot of practice helps, too.

The two are also similar in that there is an almost limitless range of diversity for both, thank goodness. How boring the world would be if everyone created the same music, or if all musicians used the same instruments. The same is true for producing bondage. There's a wide difference in the materials used, the types of models utilized (and their individual vocalizations), and you might have noticed there's even a distinctive individuality in all the various bondage websites' designs. There's also a tremendous range of emotions for both. The mood for polka music is very different than for blues or punk rock, just as a tickling video has a very different vibe than one with heavy discipline. And no one should ever feel like their tastes are the only one that's valid, because there will always be somebody who's going to declare "your favorite band sucks."

Furthermore, there's a broad spectrum of production values for both of these. Some people go to great lengths and expense to create orchestral music, going all the way to the other end with musicians playing for spare change on street corners. But in both cases it's all still music. And for bondage, some may pay thousands of dollars to create a single feature, while others are shooting their videos in motel rooms with existing light on their phones. Music and bondage can be produced just for fun, doing it purely for the art, whilst others are definitely creating a product with the intent of profit, or at least sustaining a business. But in either case the results can be enjoyable.

I'm not going to equate certain styles of music with certain styles of bondage, e.g., which producer is doing opera? And what kind of music would equate to shibari?  I'll leave that to someone else who has more enthusiasm for such an endeavor. But I would hope that what I'm producing would be akin to "pop" or maybe "classic rock," that is, if either one of those had more to do with damsels in distress.

Every now and then a producer will proudly proclaim they've made the "Best Bondage Video Ever." I admire their confidence, but I don't think that's possible. Because of individual tastes, there could no more be a best bondage video than there's a universally regarded "favorite song" by everyone. Not everyone is going to like, say, country music, just as some people would not consider a bondage video "best" unless it had straitjackets or pantyhose or bare feet or whatever their own individual "must-have" might be.

While music has a large, very profitable industry behind it, the same is not true for the bondage business. Nonetheless the similarity here is that the products of both are widely pirated. However, piracy isn't going to shut down Universal Music Group or Sony BMG Music Entertainment, but it certainly has driven lots of the mom-and-pop bondage producers out of business... and will continue to still their unique voices until something changes.

And finally, while I've limited this analogy to professionally produced bondage, I realize that a lot of people like to create their own music at home, and that's great too. It's a fun hobby.