That's Not Meat

Not long ago I gave up my Facebook account. The main reason was because of their abuse of user data, but also because I never had time or inclination to use it very much. Because of their restrictions, it was never useful for promoting the business, and so it was never a priority. Nonetheless, the off-topic thought below was one I posted there a while back, if only because it was too long for twitter.

It strikes me as a little odd, or at least rather unimaginative, that when these companies make meat substitutes for vegetarians and vegans, they always try to make them resemble some established type of meat, and they either give it a slightly different spelling (like "chikken") or put quotes around it so you know it's not really "beef" or some other animal corpse.

I'm sure the people who create these meat substitutes are justifiably proud that they've managed to create a product with a similar taste and texture as the originals but without the cruelty.  But why not expand the flavor palate a little?  There are presumably ways to make these substitutes appealing, possibly by expanding to new tastes, without limiting themselves by trying to make them taste specifically like the current, given meats. They should be bold and develop new products and textures. After all, before 1948 no one had ever experienced Cheetos, and yet they certainly caught on.

The next suggestion would probably be a little confusing without some kind of standardization, but why do they still name the meat substitutes after something they decidedly are not?  Why not name the product after some fictitious or extinct creature.  For example, you could make brontosaurus burgers, or griffin wings, dragon steaks or jabberwocky legs.  Some adults might feel a little silly ordering tyrannosaurus fingers at a restaurant, but kids would probably dig it.  :)